3 Jan 2006

Microsoft employees ponder the fate of Internet Explorer

Microsoft employees ponder the fate of Internet Explorer

This is an interesting article talking about Microsoft employees lamenting the fallen state of Internet Explorer. It seems that a lot of people in M$ are dissatisfied about the lack of new features and support for new standards. It has not been updated in any significant manner for the past 10 years. I guess this speaks volume about what lack of competition does to a product.

Frankly speaking I have been using Firefox since the days it is still known as Firebird, and I must say, there is no turning back now. I cannot live without tabbed browsing and all the neat extensions that Firefox has. I have look at IE7 beta 1 and I think it sucks. The interface take up a lot of valuable screen real estate and the RSS support is obstructive. Microsoft is really losing it.

The only time I seriously need to use IE is for my stockbroker's online portal and I have been bugging them to support alternative browsers for years. Looks like they are finally doing something about it.

No comments: