11 Mar 2006

It's Alive!

My PC (aka Personal Companion) at home went kaput Tuesday afternoon. Suddenly, she refused to power up. I didn't really have time to diagnose her until today. Initially, I tried to single out the faulty part systematically by plugging in and out each component. A couple of combinations later, I decided to give up. In a desperate attempt, I disassembled everything and detached the motherboard from the casing, and then put everthing back again. To my surprise, she miraculously recovered!

The bad news is that she is not 100% well. Her processor is now running slowly at 1100MHz. I've made an attempt to adjust the processor speed in the CMOS, but she died again during a reboot! !@#%!@ Back to square one! To cut the long story short, I managed to revive her again. This time, I just left the processor speed as it was. Another problem is that everytime I turn her on, her floppy always fails.

At least I now have a retarded but working PC. This is better than no PC. Maybe I shouln't push her so hard. After all, she is 4.4 years old now. She is slated for retirement before the age of 5.

No comments: